Disclaimer: I acknowledge that this is not an official Department of State publication, and that the views and information presented are my own and do not represent the Fulbright U.S. Student Program or the Department of State or the Fulbright Foundation in Greece.

Thursday, July 12, 2018

One year later ~ daddy-daughter adventures abroad! ~ Days 1-2 ~ WELCOME TO PARIS! :)


DAY 1: 
Wednesday 12 July 2017

Bon voyage!
Here we goooooo!


This is the first time I've started the preparations and packing so far in advance (a week early! Technically. When I packed for Lifest I also put aside clothes I wanted to pack in a laundry basket. And then Sunday I started preliminary packing logistics. Luggage draft one. Plus laundry sunday night and all day Monday. A second round Monday. A third and fourth and maybe fifth draft Tuesday. Replenished toiletries and gathered things I think I'll take along in my backpack.

Dad still hasn't started. 


Wednesday wake up and make some adjustments. Revise those earlier drafts. Coming down to the wire. Dad's ready and I'm not. Not quite. 

Went to visit grandma and spent over an hour with her while she chewed and chewed her hotdog. A lot of what we said to her went unanswered and occasionally (I worried) Unheard. But she enjoyed the ice cream we brought. And dad prayed. And at one point I told her I loved her and she looked back at me and told me she loved me too and I felt it was real/true/her... I don't know what to pray for for her, I don't know if this was the last time I'll see her (I cried there thinking it might be), but I truly hope it's not the last ice cream I bring her (and not just because of the fear of interrupting this trip and all he stress/worry that would entail). I miss my grandma. God help me with however this goes. Give her comfort. Give us all strength and peace...

Home again and it was the last rush and final adjustments and then cross your fingers and hope you have everything you need and/or can buy it there. 

Backpack weighs in at 24 + 15. Ufda.  

Stopped and grabbed Culver's and then mom drove us down to O’Hare.

Said our au revoirs to bub at her work quick and then with mom once we got down there. 

Security was easier than planned which actually kinda made it more tricky. Go figure.

Finally found our gate. Sat on the floor. Wandered around wanting something kinda sweet or maybe to eat. 
Found mint mocha at Starbucks that tastes like an Andes candy and a scone for Dad. Then came back to our boarding line. 

Don't know if it was the sugar that heightened it or what but all of a sudden I felt true, pure excitement--for our trip, for seeing Spyros so soon, for this thing that is my life!

Boarded the plane and managed to squeeze our backpacks into the overhead spaces. Then settled in for our 7 hour flight.

Hidden Numbers is really great. Food was decent. 
Then tried in vain for the next 3-4 hours or so to sleep but alas.
Miss congeniality and breakfast and then we were landing in Paris!

DAY 2
Thursday 13 July 2017

930am Paris time. 230am Beloit time. Ouf. We have a loonngg day ahead of us...

We strapped on our backpacks.
Ouf.
Hea-vy. 

Then through the hamster tunnel thunder dome walking sidewalk towards the exit. 

Mustered up enough courage to ask the information desk about the train into Paris. 

Slowly slowly pieces of French come back to me but more often than not it's Greek that floods my mind. Strange but cool feeling to have three different languages mingling in my mind... never thought that would happen...

Navigated the train and watched the French countryside turn to city turn to underground. 
Step off the train and the first thing we hear is an automated voice warning us about pickpockets. Nice. 

Then up the stairs and what do our eyes behold but the splendor of Notre Dame. Now that welcome is one not too shabby. 



With our packs strapped to us we take a flurry of pictures and video and look up at the stones that have looked back on people here in this square for hundreds of years. 

Then we waited in a line that wound to the entrance. Had to unload and unzip my backpack for security. And then zip and reload and settle it on my back and my belly again. 

The dark cool interiors were littered with tourists pointing and clicking--and a few faithful there for prayer or midday mass. 
We walked around in the deep history marveling at the stonework. The saints in their chapels. The decor. The stained glass windows (and all of them have doors don't ya know--learned that by eavesdropping on one of the English tour groups we passed by...)

-

We finished there and walked back out into the sun to hear the bells of Quasimodo ringing in the noon hour. 

Using the star feature of Google maps and a vague memory from looking it up before, we estimated our hotel to be walkable. 

What.
A.
 Walk. 

This trek through Europe with our backpacks will not be easy--but we survived this first leg so far. 

Walked along the Seine River for part of it. Pretty. This is Paris. 



Then stumbled across one side of the Louvre by accident. 

Kept walking and circled around a block then back and forth before finding our hotel. Dark black interior and an attempt at shiny/classic decor. Had to leave our bags until 2. It was 1. 

We were exhausted. Officially awake and at ‘em for 24 hours straight. 

We backtracked till we found the sandwich place that looked good when we walked by earlier. Managed to order two ham sandwiches and fresh watermelon and peach juice and dessert. Mmm. I was too tired and not hungry enough so I saved half mine for later.



At two we wandered back and got our keys to room 204 to find a double bed. I went back and asked about the twin room we'd requested and all was fixed but we had to wait another hour. 



Finally we got to our room and we're finally able to unwind a bit--and by a bit I mean here a 3 hour nap...
Much needed but after I woke up (to dad watching fast and loud in French lol) I was almost ready to trade a night out seeing Paris for some more shut eye.

But, managed to wake up and get up and get going. We discovered the Musee d'Orsay was open till 945 so about 630 we made our way there. Took a mini field trip. I've been videoing little snippets of our journey to compile and tell our trip's story a bit better than just hundreds of photographs. Pretty neat museum. Lots of sculptures and Impressionism. Selfies with Van Gogh and stumbled on Monet on the fifth floor. 



Just before they kicked everyone out we left and walked back toward the hotel. We were so thirsty that we stopped at McDonalds for a 3 euro medium coke that was subpar. 5 ice cubes (mom would not approve) and no free refills.

Loipon. 

Then made our way back to a crepe place we'd passed earlier that looked really good. And it was. Creme de Paris. Go there! Caramely and buttery  crepe with homemade vanilla ice cream. So good!



Wrote postcards while we were there to stay on top of it. 

11ish back to our room. Shower felt really good. Hot and good water pressure from a big circular shower head. Then FaceTimed Spyros and mom and Megan.

And uploaded 221 pics/videos. 

And at last: sleep. 



No comments:

Post a Comment